Kuala Lumpur: The Appellate Court has set 07 Dec, the eve of the scheduled announcement on the outcome of the SRC case appeal, to hear former prime minister Najib Razak’s application to include fresh evidence in his appeal to overturn his sentence.
It is understood that the prosecution will also be filing an affidavit in response to Najib’s application.
The application will be heard by a three-member bench, led by Abdul Karim Abdul Jalil at 9.00 am.
Najib on Wednesday (01 Dec), applied for the Court of Appeal to allow and to direct for viva voce evidence to be taken from Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief Azam Baki, or essentially for the anti-corruption chief to be asked to give oral evidence about the SRC case.
Najib is also applying for further oral evidence to be taken from MACC investigating officer Rosli Hussein.
Azam has not testified, while Rosli previously testified as a witness.
In the affidavit filed in support of his application, Najib said the viva voce evidence should be taken from the two MACC officers and to be included in his appeal in the SRC case, adding that their additional evidence would be necessary for the interest of justice.
He said the MACC had, on 19 Nov, confirmed that RM65 million of 1MDB-linked funds were recovered from Cutting Edge Industries, a company in Singapore controlled by Tawfiq Ayman and his business partner, Samuel Goh.
Tawfiq is the husband of former Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) governor Zeti Akhtar Aziz.
It was reported earlier this year that Iron Rhapsody, owned by Tawfiq and his son, received a total of RM66 million from companies and bank accounts linked to fugitive financier Low Taek Jho, or Jho Low, who is at the centre of the 1MDB scandal.
Singapore police were also reported to have informed BNM in 2015 and 2016 of these suspicious transactions involving companies owned by Tawfiq, with the funds coming from accounts linked to Low. Zeti was the BNM governor at the time.
In July last year, High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali sentenced Najib to 12 years’ jail and fined him RM210 million after finding him guilty on seven charges. – New Malaysia Herald
New Malaysia Herald publishes articles, comments and posts from various contributors. We always welcome new content and write up. If you would like to contribute please contact us at : email@example.com